Ugh. Well the hubby's shade was starting to fall apart. So I decided it was time to redo it. I had a bunch of this fabric left over from a skirt I made. For some reason the pattern package thought I'd need 2 3/4 yards. I used 1 yard. ???? I don't know where I went wrong.
So I started by pulling the inside trim off the top and bottom (the bottom piece was already hanging half off, which is what prompted me to do this project.) Here is my little helper checking it out.
Then I forgot to take a picture of how I used a box cutter to remove the ugly plastic outer cover. I cut the seams and traced the old piece on to my fabric.
Then I slipped the cover over the lamp shade and used mini binder clips to secure it in place.
I clipped around the bottom then top pulling fabric tight. I was glad I checked before I sewed because I ended up re-pinning my seams, looser on the bottom & tighter on the top.When I was happy with how the shade fit, I removed the clips from around the top and bottom of the shade and stitched the seams.
(Here my sweet baby is returning the clip she just pulled off the bottom of the shade.)
I originally thought to spray paint the base white, but I really think I like it black.